Beware the Shadow Directive
This is a danger when you have too many priorities. It happens when the leaders believe and communicate that everything is important.
Because they create so many goals, people know that it’s simply impossible to reach them all at once, so they do one of two things:
- Nothing – All those rules can’t be enforced, so why change behaviors?
- Follow the Shadow Directive – They realize that while the leaders say one thing, workers are being evaluated on something else that determines their future. Examples include:
- Do whatever is on fire
- Please my manager
- Do whatever makes us money
- Work long hours (even if not productive)
- Keep head down and stay out of trouble
The alternative is the Prime Directive.
What’s the one or two big things that will move the needle on everything else?